Thursday, August 16, 2012

Sand Art- The Reader

Thanks to D.G. Hudson for the inspiration / suggestion.  An open book, indeed...along with a reader absorbed in its pages.

What book its it?  Why, it's Rudy Toot-Toot, by yours truly!  The sand version slightly thicker than the print or Kindle versions

The sculpture is slightly incomplete (about 95%)...a thunderstorm popped up and I had to abandon my efforts in the final details in order to not get hit by lightning.  I guess I'm not the world's most dedicated sand artists, but at least I survived to sculpt again.  It may be a while, since we are leaving first thing in the morning.

Here's a play by play on how I created the reader:

Step 1- Make a rough outline.
Step 2- Make a huge pile of sand.  This took 15 minutes.
Step 3- Add water.  I dumped about 8 buckets full of water on the pile.  The water makes the sand stick together better.
Step 4- Make a rough shape.  Basically, remove sand until I have the shape I want.  It's rare that I add more on to the pile.
Step 4- Front view.  The head is exaggerated, because I will whittle it away.  Start big and refine the sculpture as detail is added.
Step 5- Detail.  I have a paint scraper to make cuts and fine lines.  Making angled cuts at the bottom where the sculpture meets the beach creates shadows, which add depth to the work and keep it from getting washed out in the pictures.
Front view.

Head-on.  This was bigger, so I could put more detail in the face than my mermaid had.
Side view.
Reading over his shoulder- Rudy Toot-Toot by Rick Daley!
Angled view, I like the way the shadows fall on this one.  My son Vic is in the background.
The total effort = 1 hour 15 minutes.  The hardest part was taking the pictures...I couldn't see my phone screen at all in the beach sunlight, so I could only hope a few of them turned out!  Then, I almost wiped them all off my phone, which was giving low data warnings.  Luckily they survived...

8 comments:

J.B. Chicoine said...

Hey, that's pretty good!

...safe travels home...:)

Rick Daley said...

Thanks! One day I may make one as good as your watercolor portraits. I'll keep practicing, some day I'll be there!

D.G. Hudson said...

I like it, Rick. I just suggested a book, but you added much more. The reader, and the whole idea of reading on the beach. The how-to photos are a nice touch.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's cool you showed us the steps.

Anne Gallagher said...

Great job! You're very talented, Mr. Daley. First books, now sand art. What next?

Rick Daley said...

DG- Inspiration takes many forms. And I am an over-achiever.

Alex- Glad you liked that, I didn't know if the "making-of" would be that interesting to anyone other than me.

Anne- I outline my stories, but life goes by the seat of my pants. I have no clue what's next!

Anti Money Laundering said...

Great job, i really appreciate sand arts because its a lot of work but the outcome is great.

Sattakingin said...

Right Steps play bazaar websites new creating ideas satta king going to your way.