Friday, April 5, 2013

A-Z Challenge: Ebert

I first started reading Roger Ebert's reviews back in 1997. I was working as a trainer at an outsourced call center company, on the CompuServe program.  One of the perks was a free CompuServe account, including access to all the forums.  My favorite was Ebert's movie forum.  I started reading his reviews regularly...I doubt I missed more than a handful of weeks in the past decade and a half.

I didn't always agree with him, but that was usually a trashy movie I liked but he didn't.  If he liked a movie, I was apt to like it, too.  That's not really the point, though...I didn't read his reviews because I needed a gut-check before shelling out cash for a ticket.  I read reviews of many movies I had no intention of ever seeing, simply because I enjoyed his writing and his wit.

And Ebert did have a sharp wit; he could trash a movie better than anyone else.  The best example is the battle he had with Rob Schneider over the "Deuce Bigalow" movies.  A critic (well, many critics, actually) had panned the film, and Schneider made a statement to the effect of, "Your opinion doesn't count because you haven't earned any awards yourself."

Ebert replied, "But Schneider is correct, and Patrick Goldstein has not yet won a Pulitzer Prize. Therefore, Goldstein is not qualified to complain...As chance would have it, I have won the Pulitzer Prize, and so I am qualified. Speaking in my official capacity as a Pulitzer Prize winner, Mr. Schneider, your movie sucks."

When Roger Ebert fought cancer he won the first round, although the battle left him missing his lower jaw and it robbed him of the ability to speak (and eat).  His lost voice never impacted me...I was not accustomed to hearing it.  I never watched his TV show, and aside from a few interviews with Howard Stern, I had never really listened to him speak.  To me his voice was the same: it was his written voice, his general way with words.

I will miss that voice.  May he rest in peace.

8 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

So sad he's gone!

Anonymous said...

He'll be sorely missed - thanks for sharing. -Belinda.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

His response to Schneider rocked!!

Rick Daley said...

He had a great one for Vincent Gallo regarding "The Brown Bunny":

After Ebert said he got to watch his colonoscopy, and it was better than The Brown Bunny, Gallo (director / writer / actor) made some disparaging remarks about Ebert's weight.

Ebert replied, "I may be fat, but one day I will be thin. You will always be the director of 'The Brown Bunny.'"

Reminds me of a Winston Churchill quote...Once at a party a lady told him he was the most disgustingly drunken man she had ever seen.

Churchill replied, "And you are the ugliest lady I have ever seen. The difference between us, ma'am, is that in the morning I will be sober."

Tara Tyler said...

he will be missed! a great wit indeed! need more thinkers these days!

D.G. Hudson said...

Another great wit and mind gone. Who will fill his shoes? Nice commemorative post, Rick!

Sattakingin said...

Right Steps play bazaar websites new creating ideas satta king going to your way.

Shannon Mackle said...

Just a couple of months ago, I gave this relationship doctor Robinson buckler a try. It was my last hope to get my ex husband back.

Weeks before my ex left me and our 2 children, there were a lot of argument and fighting between me and him. On the day he left me, he told me that he doesn't think he loved me any more and this was not working. I was so devastated hearing this, I begged him not to go and I even promised that I would change. But he made up his mind already. He packed his bags and left our house.

I tried calling him and texting him to tell him I miss him and still love him. I asked him to give us another chance. He slowly stopped replying to my messages and stopped picking up my calls.

I then searched the internet on how to get ex back, and even bought a few products such as text your ex back and ex recovery system. Nothing worked, and my ex was still very cold towards me.

When I was about to give up, I found Robinson buckler ex back program. He is a relationship coach with a lot of success stories. I knew what I needed was not a book but a coach to guide me how to make my ex fall in love with me again. I immediately signed up for his program.

In the first couple of days, I made a lot of good progress. I am happier and more confident. My ex saw the positive changes in me, and started to talk to me more and even asked me out for dates.

Fast forward two weeks later, my ex told me that he wants to give our relationship a second try. I was beyond happy when I heard that.

Now, we are closer and happier together. It would not have happened without Robinson buckler help.

I highly recommend_________________________________ R.buckler11@[[gmail.com]]

if you are serious about getting back your ex.

Win Ex lover back in 48 hours......

He cures herpes with herbal mixture

100% result guaranteed..

-GENITAL AND ORAL HERPES

-HPV

-ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION

–HEPATITIS A,B AND C

-COLD SORE

-SHINGLES

-FIBROID

-BARENESS/INFERTILITY…