Thursday, April 11, 2013

A-Z Challenge: Just a Little Light

I'm going to focus on one of my favorite singers and songs for "J."

Brent Mydland joined the Greteful Dead in 1979, and played with them until his death in 1990.  It wasn't sex or rock-n-roll that killed him, it was the other one.  He has a hard-drinking, hard-partying kind of guy, and he overdosed on a speedball (an injected mix of cocaine and heroin).  I don't know why it is that the most tortured souls have such a soulful sound, but he's not the only case.

His voice captivates me.  He has a scratchy growl that can't be imitated, it must be lived, but he also sang with passion and range.  "Just a Little Light" is very fitting for him, the lyrics seem personal:

Well there ain't nobody safer than someone who doesn't care
And it isn't even lonely when no one's ever there
I had a lot of dreams once, but some of them came true
The honey's sometimes bitter when fortune falls on you...
I love the imagery here:
It's even harder to be heartless when you look at me that way
You're as mighty as the flower that will grow the stones away

This video is taken from a live show I have on CD, and this version of the song is great:

3 comments:

D.G. Hudson said...

It's interesting to know that behind the scenes info. My BIL is a musician and we hear lots of backstory from him.

Too much experimentation with drugs costs us many a good musician.

Anonymous said...

A very telling line: "The honey's sometimes bitter when fortune falls on you..."

Shannon Mackle said...

Just a couple of months ago, I gave this relationship doctor Robinson buckler a try. It was my last hope to get my ex husband back.

Weeks before my ex left me and our 2 children, there were a lot of argument and fighting between me and him. On the day he left me, he told me that he doesn't think he loved me any more and this was not working. I was so devastated hearing this, I begged him not to go and I even promised that I would change. But he made up his mind already. He packed his bags and left our house.

I tried calling him and texting him to tell him I miss him and still love him. I asked him to give us another chance. He slowly stopped replying to my messages and stopped picking up my calls.

I then searched the internet on how to get ex back, and even bought a few products such as text your ex back and ex recovery system. Nothing worked, and my ex was still very cold towards me.

When I was about to give up, I found Robinson buckler ex back program. He is a relationship coach with a lot of success stories. I knew what I needed was not a book but a coach to guide me how to make my ex fall in love with me again. I immediately signed up for his program.

In the first couple of days, I made a lot of good progress. I am happier and more confident. My ex saw the positive changes in me, and started to talk to me more and even asked me out for dates.

Fast forward two weeks later, my ex told me that he wants to give our relationship a second try. I was beyond happy when I heard that.

Now, we are closer and happier together. It would not have happened without Robinson buckler help.

I highly recommend Robinsonbuckler11@[[gmail.com]]

if you are serious about getting back your ex.

Win Ex lover back in 48 hours......

He cures herpes with herbal mixture

100% result guaranteed..

-GENITAL AND ORAL HERPES
-HPV
-ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION
–HEPATITIS A,B AND C
-COLD SORE
-IMPOTENCE
-HYPERTENSION
-SHINGLES
-FIBROID
-BARENESS/INFERTILITY….