Thursday, April 18, 2013

A_Z Challenge: Ode to Joy

Do you have a desert island song?

You know...if you were stranded on a desert island and could only listen to one thing for the rest of your life, because most desert islands have iPods and chargers, but very little in the way of downloadable music options.

My desert island song is Beethoven's 9th symphony.  Technically, Ode to Joy is just the 4th movement, and technically, if I could only pick one of the four movements, I'd pick the second, but I'm pressed for time (a letter behind in this little challenge) and the whole symphony is an untouchable masterpiece.  It's got dynamics and power...it's the rock and roll of the classical world. 

The 9th was Beethoven's last work, and he was completely deaf when he wrote it.  If you've never heard it, check this video out.  It's the second movement put to graphics that show how the melodies and harmonies come together through the many layers of instrumentation.  It blows my mind.

 
And in case you still have time, here's the end of the fourth movement, Ode to Joy:


2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Very familiar with the piece.
If I could only listen to one song, it would be Dream Theater's Count of Tuscany. It's almost twenty minutes long and with so many changes and depth to the music, it would take me a lifetime to discover everything.

J.L. Campbell said...

Haven't thought much about what I'd listen to on a desert island, but that would probably be something from Blood, Sweat and Tears.