Monday, April 8, 2013

A-Z Challenge: Grateful Dead

I have some really fond memories of the Grateful Dead, and of going to shows during my college years, when I was indulging in many of the indulgences for which Deadheads are known. Only I can’t really remember the shows themselves.  I just know I went there.  That’s probably why Deadheads would bring pen and paper to the shows, and write down each song as it began, and compare set lists in the parking lot after the show.  They also indulged, and had little hopes of remembering the little details, like which songs they heard ten minutes ago.

I jest, a little.  I do know the first song I heard the Dead play live was “Jack Straw,” and that first show also included, “Touch of Gray.”  And I remember that they played Drums and Space at every show I saw, but that’s a cop-out, because they played Drums and Space at every show, period.

I had some great times at the shows, even when I didn’t get in.  The parking lot parties, with the drum circles, guitars, and wares being sold on Shakedown Street; the smell of incense and herbs;  and the giant PSHHHT! sound of punching balloons being filled with laughing gas (Nitrous Oxide, of just Nitrus, or “Hippie Crack”).  Good times.

My favorite period of the Grateful Dead ended before my first show, with the passing of Brent Mydland.  Brent was their third keyboard player, and a great singer / songwriter.  I’ll talk about him more in a few letters.  Their first keyboard player, Pigpen, died in the early 70s from stomach complications brought on by excessive drinking.  Pigpen was Janis Joplin’s main squeeze.  She also died from alcoholism. 

Their second keyboard player was Keith Godchaux, who preferred piano (Pigpena and Mydland played the Hammond Organ, primarily), and whose wife Donna sang backup.  I really don’t like Donna’s backing vocals, so I rate her tenure during the latter 70s as my least favorite Dead era.  Don't get me wrong, I still like the music from that time, I just like it less.

By the time I attended shows, they were rotating between Bruce Hornsby and Vince Welnick on keys.  Both very suitable players, but neither had Mydland’s soulful voice.

And, in case you didn’t know but were curious, the name comes from a phrase in a folklore dictionary, and Grateful Dead means, "the soul of a dead person, or his angel, showing gratitude to someone who, as an act of charity, arranged their burial."

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I have a friend who is a big fan and he's always said the music is average but the shows are great. I've always thought that was odd...

Matthew MacNish said...

One of the great tragedies of my life is that I never made it to a Dead show. I have a friend who is now on tour with Mickey Hart, so I suppose I will have to settle for that.

Shannon Mackle said...

Just a couple of months ago, I gave this relationship doctor Robinson buckler a try. It was my last hope to get my ex husband back.

Weeks before my ex left me and our 2 children, there were a lot of argument and fighting between me and him. On the day he left me, he told me that he doesn't think he loved me any more and this was not working. I was so devastated hearing this, I begged him not to go and I even promised that I would change. But he made up his mind already. He packed his bags and left our house.

I tried calling him and texting him to tell him I miss him and still love him. I asked him to give us another chance. He slowly stopped replying to my messages and stopped picking up my calls.

I then searched the internet on how to get ex back, and even bought a few products such as text your ex back and ex recovery system. Nothing worked, and my ex was still very cold towards me.

When I was about to give up, I found Robinson buckler ex back program. He is a relationship coach with a lot of success stories. I knew what I needed was not a book but a coach to guide me how to make my ex fall in love with me again. I immediately signed up for his program.

In the first couple of days, I made a lot of good progress. I am happier and more confident. My ex saw the positive changes in me, and started to talk to me more and even asked me out for dates.

Fast forward two weeks later, my ex told me that he wants to give our relationship a second try. I was beyond happy when I heard that.

Now, we are closer and happier together. It would not have happened without Robinson buckler help.

I highly recommend Robinsonbuckler11@[[gmail.com]]

if you are serious about getting back your ex.

Win Ex lover back in 48 hours......

He cures herpes with herbal mixture

100% result guaranteed..

-GENITAL AND ORAL HERPES
-HPV
-ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION
–HEPATITIS A,B AND C
-COLD SORE
-IMPOTENCE
-HYPERTENSION
-SHINGLES
-FIBROID
-BARENESS/INFERTILITY….