Sunday, April 14, 2013

A-Z Challenge: Legs

Okay, time is short so I'll just get to the point.

My freaking legs hurt.  Feet too.  Not agonizing pain, but that dull ache that sets into 41-year-old joints after running 9 miles on them.

First, some background: there is a half-marathon coming up in May.  I've participated in this race twice before.  I've declared I will never run a half-marathon again twice before, too.  Turns out I'm not real good at keeping personal promises.

The run itself was great.  The weather was ideal; my knees were stiff for the first couple minutes but they loosened up.  My wife ran with me and she had a great run, too.  She went a little faster than she normally runs, and I went a little slower than I normally run, and we both ran a lot closer to each other than we normally run.  It was fun.  

I feel okay right now.  I'm sitting down.  After the run I showered then lit some charcoal and cooked up some porterhouse steaks.  We had split half of a cow with my aunt and uncle; these steaks were fresh, grass-fed, all-natural, hormone- and antibiotic-free beef...for only $2.99 / lb.  I'm still lingering in food heaven, sipping on some wine and digesting.

But my future awaits.  This bliss soon will end.  For in my future: Stairs.

Stairs are my ultra arch-enemy at the moment.  They are evil.  Going up is decidedly worse than going down, but I cut them no slack in either direction.  They are hurtful, mean objects.  Soon it will be bedtime, and that means the stairs and I will have an unpleasant confrontation.

Legs.  Ouch.  And since this is a series focused on music, I feel obliged to point out that ZZ top wrote a song about legs.  It's a great song, but it approaches the subject from a much different perspective than I have presented today.

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Knew you'd work ZZ Top into it!
Impressive you are preparing for a half marathon. Yeah, something about cresting the age of forty... the joints just like to protest more.

D.G. Hudson said...

Too bad about the legs, but kudos to you and your wife for running!

I like ZZ Top song "Cheap Sunglasses".

Rick Daley said...

The status after a night's sleep:

Ouch.