Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Follow the sun

Sometimes during the winter I look outside to the cold, gray Ohio sky and say to myself, "Screw it, I'm moving to Florida where it's warm."

And then I go back about my business, because I know that we're not moving anywhere.

At least this week, I do get to go to Florida for a couple days. I have a trade show in Miami, I leave tomorrow around noon. Right now it's like eleven degrees outside. Will I miss my family while I am gone? You bet. Am I eager to go and feel the warm Miami sun? You bet. Am I hoping my wife doesn't get jealous when she reads this? You bet!

Last year I took her down there with me, and we had a great time. This year I'm working for a different company, and I'll be there with different people, so I'm going solo.

I'm also expecting the show to be a practical ghost town, what with the economy the way it is. A couple days of warmth, then I'll be home Friday night, and stuck in Ohio for the rest of the winter.

6 comments:

Davin Malasarn said...

Hope you enjoy it! I've only been to Florida once and it was for about an hour. I heard the writing community in Florida is small...based on asking one person.

Rick Daley said...

Miami is home to one of my favorite authors of all time: Dave Barry.

I'm going down there for a trade show on call centers, though. Unfortunately my day job involves writing white papers, press releases, and business proposals. For now...

About Me said...

I've been to Miami. It's cool. Like every city, it's got nice, exciting parts, and an underbelly. I was on south beach, which is beautiful though I wasn't fun of some of the behavior I saw there. Have fun (outside of your work, of course)

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Sounds like you'll have a good time! I live in a cold state, as well, but will be going out to California for a few days this week. Not sure how warm it will be, but warmer than where I am!

I read your bio. You do what I thought I would be doing for a job before I decided to stay at home and be a mom. I love technical writing as much as I love creative writing. I'm nuts, I know.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Have a safe flight!

Rich said...

To bad you can't stop in Hilton Head on your way back! But -- it has been damn cold here! Tomorrow we may hit 70 for the first time in many weeks. The jet stream should not come down this far south.